Friday, September 3, 2010

Zora Neale Hurston and the book club.

My book club just talked about Their Eyes Were Watching God.  I had not read Hurston's books before and wasn't really excited about reading it. But you know, in a book club you read things because it's your duty. I'm glad I did my duty.
This book is about black people in a black society, not about the downtrodden, but about everyday small town lives. And about finding love.The writing is so exquisite, so poetic, that I kept going back, rereading, then reading phrases out loud. After I read it I went back to the first pages and read them again. I had to, because the beginning was also the ending of Janie's story.
Here are the last sentences in the book.
Here was peace. Pulled it from around the waist of the world and pulled it over her shoulder. So much of life in  its meshes! She called in her soul to come and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment