Sunday, October 3, 2010

Time Slips

Mark Twain started all this, I think, with A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.When I first wrote my book, twenty odd years ago (before Diana Gabaldon came on the scene) I came up with a heroine coming to Scotland, staying in a castle B&B, and ending up in the 18th Century, dying at the Battle of Culloden. Over the years and many incarnations, the novel turned into a straight up historical novel, partly because I got more interested in the history, partly because I found Gabaldon's first novel unsatisfactory. I haven't read any more of hers, though heaven knows they're popular. Anyway, I haven't stopped enjoying time slip novels, such as the Jane Austin ones.

Recently I stumbled on the books by Rodrigo Garcia y Robertson. Is that a great name? At any rate, he has written a trilogy beginning with Knight Errant about The Wars of the Roses. The fact that Garcia y Robertson actually taught medieval history at UCLA and Villanova has a lot to do  witih the excellence of the books. The heroine, Robyn Stafford, is smart and likeable. The hero is Edward Plantagenet. Robyn works in the movie industry, was a barrel racer, and is learning withchcraft. She gets into and out of some horrific situations, and in the second book, she manages to bring along essentials back to the middle ages: coffee, tampons, her notebook, etc. Sounds silly, but for me  it works. The author's knowledge of details of the 15th Century  gives the books authority.  I have his two latest waiting for me at the library. Can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment